What’s the role about?
The External Communications team is responsible for all aspects of the external communications strategy for the Partnership and its two brands. Our clear ambition for communications: to be the conscience of the business and champion of the brands. This business purpose is brought to life through the role of communications and campaigning. With communications disciplines that work effectively with other business departments to ensure integration of communications across the company, working together for maximum impact. This is brought to life across multiple fronts, with a communications programme that leverages progressive business initiatives, builds celebratory feel-good moments, campaigns with passion from a position of strength, scale and responsibility maintain a drumbeat of positive storytelling, and works hard to mitigate potential risks. The activity must continue to reach multiple audiences, amplifying and deepening customer marketing activity and messaging delivered above the line. As Senior Communications Officer within the media relations team, you will be the first-line response to many incoming issues and opportunities in the Partnership Communications team. Therefore they are required to work in a fast, busy and agile environment, triaging incoming issues effectively. Working closely with key internal stakeholders and the media is crucial. Through your Profession, you will have the opportunity to develop and stretch personally and professionally to achieve your potential. The Partnership supports agile and flexible working practices, such as when, where and how we work. We have several different ways to work flexibly, including part-time, flexible or compressed hours, and job sharing. Head office areas also support a blended working approach. We celebrate diversity and inclusion in the John Lewis Partnership and we are committed to becoming the UK’s most inclusive business, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we serve.
What you’ll be doing:
● Part of an out of hours, on-call team to deal with journalist enquiries
● Use awareness of the external landscape to make informed decisions about communications risks and opportunities.
● Ensures the correct process is in place and is adhered to for media enquiries, and that enquiries are handled consistently.
● Deliver excellent, thorough and timely service to journalists in response to their enquiries and become a go-to person for the media when responding to their queries.
● Deputises for Senior Communications Manager, and Communications Managers when necessary.
.● Deputises for Senior Communications Manager, and Communications Managers when necessary.
● Work with the Senior Manager on the external communication of financial results and the Partnership’s strategy to deliver integrated campaigns
● Work with the Senior Manager to help in the management and the design and content creation for the Annual Report and Accounts
● Work to create news opportunities that tell the story of the Partnership Plan and that point towards momentum behind it.
● Influence how our Partnership is perceived, identifying key knowledge of the activity and driving success in these
● Maintain an informed opinion and up to date knowledge of the retail industry as well as those industries that are new for the Partnership.
● Develop Instils a culture of customer-centric, creative thinking across the whole team and cross-functionally so that the Partnership story is not solely kept to the corporate media
What you'll have
Extensive media relations expertise with a high profile organisation
A proven track record in crisis management
Senior Stakeholder Management
Strong verbal and written communication skills
What else could you bring?
Ability to demonstrate where you could bring best practices to the Partnership
Experience in managing issues on social as well as print media is preferable
Useful to know
The application form consists of a CV upload, an online test followed by application questions. Please ensure you refresh the page each time you complete a task to ensure you complete everything that you need to in time.
If internal, check your Workday notifications and see further guidance on the PDW under "Internal application process"
If you are external please see the attachment for the job profile
If you are internal would like to view the job outline for this role please copy and paste the following link in to your browser: Link
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in the John Lewis Partnership. Our aim is to become the UK’s most inclusive business - for our Partners and for our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we serve. We want people from all walks of life to feel valued for their individuality, thrive in our business and share a sense of belonging. To find out more about D&I in the John Lewis Partnership click here - https://www.jlpjobs.com/about/diversityandinclusion/