Although much of the training you receive will be flexible and tailored to your individual needs, there is an overall structure to the John Lewis Graduate Retail Management Scheme:
- You'll start with a central induction with all other graduates, followed by a six-week induction within one of our branches, getting to understand the basic workings of a branch and how they function
- You will then start working as a Section Manager, assisting and deputising for the Department Manager. In this important role, you'll lead the team and maximise the sales and profits of a department. Where possible, you'll work on two separate departments within your first branch and you will be leading and managing teams during some of the crucial times of our trading year
- After six months you'll then attend a summit event to meet up with your graduate colleagues from the other schemes, gain access to senior leaders and learn more about mentoring
- You'll then move to a second branch as a Section Manager to further develop your skills and show that you are capable of running your own selling department
- As part of the scheme you will be involved in various business-related projects which will bring you together with your graduate colleagues and help you build your understanding of the wider business
- After twelve months you will attend another summit event, focused on career coaching and development, and after this point should be aiming to reach Department Manager level.
Department Managers in John Lewis are responsible for the sales and profit of a department and for the happiness and performance of their Partners. It's very much like running your own shop, as you could be responsible for a £multi-million annual sales turnover and a team of around 30 Partners. Succeed in this and you'll have every opportunity to reach senior branch management level and beyond.