John Lewis Merchandising Graduate Scheme
John Lewis' enormous range of quality products doesn't just need to be popular and appealing to all of our customers. Crucially, it needs to deliver profit for the business. That's where our Merchandisers come in, as they secure and purchase stock whilst carefully managing financial targets.
Join our Graduate Merchandising Scheme and we'll nurture you into one of the finest Merchandising professionals in the retail industry. You'll benefit from a richly engaging development programme that offers long-term career potential via a structured yet flexible path:
- During your first year with us you'll be given an entry level position in Merchandising, supported by training and development coaching to help you learn the ropes
- In your second year you should become an Assistant Merchandiser, involving line management duties and supporting the Merchandiser to deliver excellent stock management and meet the financial targets
- Following this, you'll move to a different office to gain the broadest experience possible and work towards becoming a Merchandiser
- You should aim to become a fully–fledged Merchandiser within three to five years
What we’re looking for
Many people think Merchandising is about picking and choosing gorgeous products. On the contrary, it’s about ensuring the profit margins on our vast array of product lines – so an affinity with numbers is an absolutely vital quality. Likewise, analytical ability, strong planning skills and the capacity to work well to targets are key traits we’re looking for. You’ll also be an excellent communicator who thrives in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment and have the potential to successfully lead and deliver results through a team. You’ll have strong commercial awareness about John Lewis and the wider retail industry.
Things to bear in mind
- This role includes a great deal of systems and computer–based work and the analysis of figures
- You'll be based in our Head Office in Victoria, London
- This scheme should not be confused with Visual Merchandising which deals with display and product promotions
- The salary for the scheme is £25,500 and you will receive benefits such as the Partnership annual bonus (which is a proportion of your salary; in 2012 this equated to seven weeks additional pay), non-contributory pension scheme, a discount card, ticket subsidies and many more
- You'll need to show us that you've got a strong understanding of the Merchandising function, so we know that you'll have the skills required to enable you to meet the challenges in these roles. Places on this scheme are limited and competition is extremely high, so please note that individuals who have relevant degrees or experience are likely to be more successful
The minimum criteria are as follows:
- Gained a degree equivalent to a BA, BSc or higher at a 2:1 or above by September 2013. This can be in any subject. Please note, you will be required to provide evidence of your qualifications
- GCSE Maths and English Grade B or above or equivalent
We are sorry, if you do not meet the above minimum criteria, we will not be able to consider your application.