John Lewis Buying Graduate Scheme
Sound systems. Sofas. Salt mills. Walk into any John Lewis department store and you'll find an incredible breadth of stylish product lines, every single one of which is chosen by our innovative Buying team.
For a graduate, this is a fast-paced and exciting environment to be in – and one that offers a structured yet flexible path to success:
- In your first year you'll be supported by training and development coaching to help you learn the basics, as well as spending time on the shop floor and being given additional projects to broaden your experience
- In your second year you should become an Assistant Buyer, a role involving line manager responsibility and supporting the Buyer to deliver a distinctive and profitable assortment
- From this point there are a number of options available to you. You could work within one of our Buying support functions to broaden your experience and understanding, or you may move to a more senior Buying role. Whatever you choose, we'll support you to achieve your career goals
- You should become a fully-fledged Buyer within three to five years
What we’re looking for
The popularity and productivity of our merchandise is down to the keen eyes, creativity and commercial nous of our Buying team. If you believe that you share these qualities, and have plenty of enthusiasm, intuition and the ability to inspire those around you, our in depth training will take care of the rest.
We're looking for applicants who have the potential to successfully lead and deliver results through a team. A solid understanding of John Lewis and its customers, as well as a wider awareness of the retail industry, is highly desirable.
Things to bear in mind
- We have three main buying categories: Home, Fashion and Electricals. Within these are multiple buyerships and you'll be based within one of these areas with the chance to move between them
- This role is based in our Head Office in Victoria, London
- The salary for the scheme is £25,500 and you will receive benefits such as the Partnership annual bonus (which is a proportion of your salary; in 2012 this equated to seven weeks additional pay), non-contributory pension scheme, a discount card, ticket subsidies and many more
- You'll need to show us that you've got a strong understanding of the Buying function, so we know that you'll have the skills required to enable you to meet the challenges in these roles. Places on this scheme are limited and competition is extremely high, so please note that individuals who have relevant degrees or experience are likely to be more successful
The minimum criteria is as follows:
- Gained a degree equivalent to a BA, BSc or higher at a 2:1 or above by September 2013. This can be in any subject. Please note, you will be required to provide evidence of your qualifications
- GCSE Maths and English Grade B or above or equivalent